As most of y'all know, Ash Wednesday was yesterday, February 10th, which is the beginning of Lent. Lent is the forty day period before Easter that excludes Sunday's. It begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday, the evening before Easter. I'm not really one to flaunt my beliefs because I like to keep them on a more personal level, becasue it really works for me, but I wanted to share with y'all my sacrifices for the next forty days. This season to me is a season of self-reflection and understanding that subtraction is also addition. I opted for the more meaningful route that would accommodate to my busy schedule. Here are the four things I'm "fasting" from:
- Social Media
- I've decided to cut social media out of my life every Sunday, Wednesday, and one other day of choice during the week. (Which is why I didn't post this yesterday on Ash Wednesday.) Instead of spending these days scrolling my Instagram feed or attempting to keep up with my family on Facebook, I will be devoting this time to reading a Wesley Sermon each social media-less day.
- Coffee
- This one is going to be difficult. I love my dark roast with almond milk and sugar-free blueberry flavoring from Dunkin Donuts...which is also where I work. So that means resisting the temptation to drink free coffee while I work. So far, I've been good. I worked this morning and instead of coffee, I opted for unsweet tea with my usual add-ins. It wasn't the same, but it's all about the sacrifice.
- Meat
- I'm aware "Meatless Monday" is already a thing, but I don't participate in it because it's not something I really think about. It will be challenging to give up chicken and venison...even if it's only for one day. I can do it though.
- Donate
- Lent is all about giving things up that distract us from maintaining a relationship with God. I've purged a lot of my clothes and useless junk in the last year and downsized tremendously already, but I have this need in my heart to simplify and get rid of a lot more. So I've decided to donate one item, article of clothing, or pair of shoes for every day of Lent. I'll be simplifying my life even more which means more time for the Word, while also giving to those in need. Double whammy!
Do y'all participate in Lent? What are you "fasting" from?
Peace + Grace,
Mariana

No comments:
Post a Comment